We are officially announcing auditions for our first show of the season:
I Hate Hamlet!
The Granite Theatre is looking to cast our first show of the 2022 season. The show will be directed by the new artistic director, Erin Sousa-Stanley. Written by Paul Rudnick, “I Hate Hamlet” is a dramatic comedy about fame, love, duty and whether anyone still cares about Shakespeare. The play has roles for three women and three men. The production is scheduled for a run of three weeks, March 24th- April 10th.
AUDITIONS by appointment:
Sunday, January 30th from 4-6pm
Monday, January 31st from 6-7:30pm
Callbacks by invitation January 31st 7:30-9pm
Please see below for character descriptions!
Looking to Cast:
(The ages listed are the approximate ages of the characters.)
• ANDREW RALLY (late 20s/early 30s): A popular TV star whose series has just been cancelled. He has reluctantly moved into John Barrymore’s apartment and agreed to take on the role of Hamlet for a Shakespeare in the Park production, even though he has no interest.
• JOHN BARRYMORE (30s-50s): The ghost of the famous larger-than-life actor whose mission is to convince Andrew to play Hamlet.
• DEIRDRE MCDAVEY (mid 20s/early 30s): Andrew’s naive girlfriend from a privileged background, a hopeless romantic, and the cause of Andrew’s sexual frustration. She is overjoyed that her boyfriend is going to play Hamlet, much more than he is.
• FELICIA DANTINE (30s-50s): Andrew’s real estate broker, who is fascinated with the world of theatre and claims to have a sense of the supernatural. Ability to do a New York accent is a plus, but not required.
• GARY PETER LEFKOWITZ (30s): Hot-shot LA TV writer/producer/director with no true appreciation for theatre, especially Shakespeare. He tries to entice Andrew with the promise of a new starring role in a sitcom.
• LILLIAN TROY (50’s+ ): Andrew’s agent, who has had a history with John Barrymore. She is frank with a dry sense of humor. Ability to do a German accent is a plus.
WHAT TO PREPARE:
Sides will be emailed when you schedule your audition. Please prepare the side for the part you are interested in. There will be a reader at auditions. You may read for more than one character.
Please bring a headshot/ photo and resume if available.
Callbacks will consists of readings from the script. If you are unable to attend auditions you may send an audition video.
Please email for instructions.
The Granite Theatre
1 Granite St
Westerly, RI 02891
No previous experience required. All roles are open. This invitation is not only for actors but also for anyone who would like to be part of the production crew. You can set up an interview for these positions.
To schedule an audition or interview please call 401- 596-2341 or email firstname.lastname@example.org